- Apple's Covid Response Was Extremely Appleby Steven Levy on December 4, 2020 at 2:00 pm
Plus: A patented pizza box, polarization on Parler, and a sad update.
- A Member of the ‘Squad’ Takes on Cryptocurrencyby Gregory Barber on December 4, 2020 at 12:00 pm
US Representative Rashida Tlaib, a progressive first-term lawmaker, has cosponsored a bill requiring stablecoins like Facebook's Libra to be issued by banks.
- A Prominent AI Ethics Researcher Says Google Fired Herby Tom Simonite on December 4, 2020 at 1:27 am
Timnit Gebru is a leader among those examining the societal impacts of the technology. She had also criticized the company's diversity efforts.
- China Stakes Its Claim to Quantum Supremacyby Tom Simonite on December 3, 2020 at 7:00 pm
Google trumpeted its quantum computer that outperformed a conventional supercomputer. A Chinese group says it's done the same, with different technology.
- On Section 230, It's Trump vs. Trumpby Gilad Edelman on December 3, 2020 at 6:39 pm
The president is urging Congress to repeal a law that his own trade agreements commit the country to.
- Do Diverse Corporate Boards Lead to a Fairer Workplace?by Sidney Fussell on December 3, 2020 at 12:00 pm
Nasdaq wants at least one woman and one underrepresented minority among directors at listed companies. The proposal goes further than most, but will it matter?
- The Pandemic Gives Us a Chance to Change How We Get Aroundby Tom Vanderbilt on December 2, 2020 at 12:00 pm
City transportation ecosystems are suddenly getting more diverse, creating an opportunity to (finally) rethink the car.
- This Company Uses AI to Outwit Malicious AIby Will Knight on December 2, 2020 at 12:00 pm
Robust Intelligence is among a crop of companies that offer to protect clients from efforts at deception.
- One Free Press Coalition Spotlights Journalists Under Attack - December 2020by WIRED Staff on December 1, 2020 at 2:00 pm
This month's list focuses on cases relating to Covid-19, as thousands of individuals have called on the UN to free jailed journalists amid the ongoing pandemic.
- All the Social Media Giants Are Becoming the Sameby Arielle Pardes on November 30, 2020 at 12:00 pm
Which major platform has a news feed, disappearing posts, private messaging, and a live broadcasting feature? That would be … all of them.
- Ride-Hail Companies Are Making Life Harder for Scootersby Aarian Marshall on November 30, 2020 at 12:00 pm
Officials in many cities feel they couldn't rein in Uber and Lyft. Now they're being stricter with other innovative forms of transportation.
- As Cities Curb Surveillance, Baltimore Police Took to the Airby Sidney Fussell on November 27, 2020 at 12:00 pm
In a program that overcame three court challenges this year, planes with high-tech cameras circled the city up to 40 hours a week.