- The US Used the Patriot Act to Justify Logging Website Usersby Lily Hay Newman on December 5, 2020 at 2:00 pm
Plus: Better Twitter two-factor, a Spotify hack, and more of the week’s top security news.
- A ‘Magical Bug’ Exposed Any iPhone in a Hacker's Wi-Fi Rangeby Lily Hay Newman on December 3, 2020 at 10:27 pm
A Google researcher found flaws in Apple's AWDL protocol that would have allowed for a complete device takeover.
- This Notorious Botnet Has an Alarming New Trickby Andy Greenberg on December 3, 2020 at 11:00 am
The hackers behind TrickBot have begun probing victim PCs for vulnerable firmware, which would let them persist on devices undetected.
- Hackers Are Targeting the Covid-19 Vaccine ‘Cold Chain’by Brian Barrett on December 3, 2020 at 11:00 am
As vaccines await US approval, a sophisticated global phishing campaign has tried to harvest credentials from companies involved in their distribution.
- A Broken Piece of Internet Backbone Might Finally Get Fixedby Lily Hay Newman on December 2, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Efforts to secure the Border Gateway Protocol have picked up critical momentum, including a big assist from Google.
- This Company Uses AI to Outwit Malicious AIby Will Knight on December 2, 2020 at 12:00 pm
Robust Intelligence is among a crop of companies that offer to protect clients from efforts at deception.
- Not Even William Barr Buys Trump’s Election Nonsenseby Brian Barrett on December 1, 2020 at 11:20 pm
The attorney general has long been one of the president’s chief apologists. Not this time.
- 7 Simple Ways to Make Your Android Phone More Secureby Matt Burgess, WIRED UK on December 1, 2020 at 2:00 pm
Here's how to lock down your data and stop others from snooping on your personal information.
- Was This Poker Player's Luck Too Good to Be True?by Mark Robinson on November 30, 2020 at 12:00 pm
On this week’s Get WIRED podcast, features editor Mark Robinson talks to writer Brendan Koerner about an unconventional poker player and the woman who called him out.
- What Is the Signal Encryption Protocol?by Andy Greenberg on November 29, 2020 at 12:00 pm
As the Signal protocol becomes the industry standard, it's worth understanding what sets it apart from other forms of end-to-end encrypted messaging.
- Ransomware hits helicopter maker Kopteron December 5, 2020 at 7:15 am
Data from Kopter's internal network has been published on the LockBit gang's blog, hosted on the dark web.
- Ransomware gangs are now cold-calling victims if they restore from backups without payingon December 5, 2020 at 1:37 am
Tactic used since August by ransomware gangs like Sekhmet, Maze, Conti, and Ryuk.
- Johnson & Johnson CISO: Healthcare orgs are seeing nation-state attacks every single minute of every single dayon December 4, 2020 at 8:33 pm
Johnson & Johnson is one of six COVID-19 research companies that have been recently targeted by North Korean state-sponsored hackers.
- The best gifts for hackerson December 4, 2020 at 1:04 pm
No matter their age, interests, or ability, these gifts will put a smile on any hacker's face this holiday season.
- Scammers stole millions last Christmas. These six tips could keep you safe online this time aroundon December 4, 2020 at 10:46 am
NCSC issues advice for online shoppers as cyber criminals gear up to take advantage of the busiest time of year for retail purchases.